Rec/rec request: tv gay storylines
Nov. 27th, 2015 06:20 pmThis is a pair of recommendations paired with a request for similar material at the end. I hope it's alright. I've recently gone through a phase of looking for good gay stories in television and so I am recommending two of my favourites so far. I was also hoping other people might have favorites they would like to recommend to me as well.
Title: John Paul and Craig from the British soap Hollyoaks
Format: Television
Status: Complete
Rating: PG or PG13 I would think?
Link: Their story is collected on youtube to watch here
Summary/Review: John Paul and Craig are best friends in their last year of high school when they fall in love. It is quite a long story that played from 2006-2008, and since it is a soap opera, is quite dramatic (and sometimes ridiculous) but it is also very good. John Paul and Craig are both really compelling and well portrayed characters, and their families and girlfriends are too. The story of their romance is fraught with love triangles, homophobia, murder and any number of other issues that don't only involve the two of them, but at its core it is a coming out story and a love story that centers on two dudes and the people around them.
Title: Ian and Mickey from the US show Shameless
Format: Television
Status: not sure
Rating: TV-MA
Warnings: Sex/nudity, violence, drug use, mental illness, prostitution, alcoholism, rape
Link: Their scenes are collected on youtube: Part 1 and Part 2 There's some stuff that happens about Ian's sexuality that occurs before these videos but currently the ones I found on youtube have been banned due to copyright. These two videos just tell the whole Ian and Mickey relationship.
Summary/Review: The show is about a poor, south side of Chicago family, the Gallaghers. Ian Gallagher falls in love with his thuggish neighbor, Mickey Milkovich. I love these two characters, their dynamic, and their growth over the show because they feel so real. The show is a dramedy and it deals with a lot of stuff, but the relationship between these two characters really makes it for me.
I don't have a lot of time to watch TV, so sometimes I like to watch just certain storylines from them, in this case the gay ones obviously. I know there are many other shows out there that have great gay storylines, so I was hoping to turn this post into a sort of collection of them, where people could add their favourites in the comments. Lesbian storylines also accepted/encouraged!
Title: John Paul and Craig from the British soap Hollyoaks
Format: Television
Status: Complete
Rating: PG or PG13 I would think?
Link: Their story is collected on youtube to watch here
Summary/Review: John Paul and Craig are best friends in their last year of high school when they fall in love. It is quite a long story that played from 2006-2008, and since it is a soap opera, is quite dramatic (and sometimes ridiculous) but it is also very good. John Paul and Craig are both really compelling and well portrayed characters, and their families and girlfriends are too. The story of their romance is fraught with love triangles, homophobia, murder and any number of other issues that don't only involve the two of them, but at its core it is a coming out story and a love story that centers on two dudes and the people around them.
Title: Ian and Mickey from the US show Shameless
Format: Television
Status: not sure
Rating: TV-MA
Warnings: Sex/nudity, violence, drug use, mental illness, prostitution, alcoholism, rape
Link: Their scenes are collected on youtube: Part 1 and Part 2 There's some stuff that happens about Ian's sexuality that occurs before these videos but currently the ones I found on youtube have been banned due to copyright. These two videos just tell the whole Ian and Mickey relationship.
Summary/Review: The show is about a poor, south side of Chicago family, the Gallaghers. Ian Gallagher falls in love with his thuggish neighbor, Mickey Milkovich. I love these two characters, their dynamic, and their growth over the show because they feel so real. The show is a dramedy and it deals with a lot of stuff, but the relationship between these two characters really makes it for me.
I don't have a lot of time to watch TV, so sometimes I like to watch just certain storylines from them, in this case the gay ones obviously. I know there are many other shows out there that have great gay storylines, so I was hoping to turn this post into a sort of collection of them, where people could add their favourites in the comments. Lesbian storylines also accepted/encouraged!
no subject
Date: 2015-11-27 11:52 pm (UTC)Connor and Oliver aren't the main story line but they do have their own thing going on. I adored these two and really like their character development. They have a beautiful dynamic. Oliver is a means to an end for Connor at the beginning but Connor can't keep away. Beside these two, the whole plot of HTGAWM is so engrossing on it's own.
In the Flesh: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2480514/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
British post-apocalypse, zombie/zombie-rehabilitation with romantic gay subplot. Here we have Kieren coming home after spending a good amount of time as a zombie and, after that, in a rahab centre. His home coming isn't exactly warm, and things are more than a bit awkward and tense. In the first season, there's Rick, Kieren's crush and best friend. We don't see much of these two, but they're sweet. I personally found there wasn't a lot of chemistry but other's thought they did. The second season brings us Simon. Kieren and Simon and a wonderful dynamic and they make so much sense together. In the flesh Never really feel like a gay romance thought, even when it's main couple is gay. Instead, the focus is on the plot and the politics surrounding the issues that have come about with the rise and fall of the undead. It's a show with believable and sympathetic characters, strong plot and intriguing complexities. It just so happens the main is guy is gay, without it being too heavy handed about it.
no subject
Date: 2015-11-30 03:10 am (UTC)I'll check out how to get away with Murder too.
no subject
Date: 2015-11-30 03:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-11-28 04:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-11-30 03:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-11-28 06:46 pm (UTC)Looking - hbo show. All gay. Um, it's not bad? I liked what I watched but I was never religiously into it like some shows lol.
Queer As Folk (US version) - an old favorite. Lots of lesbian and gay. I loved Justin and Brian's story but the series ended in disappointment. First three seasons are best.
The Following - uhhh I stopped watching the show because of reasons :/ and it got cancelled anyway. But Jacob and Paul are both gay and like each other. Also features a tiny threesome. There might be scenes on Youtube of them. But if not, they're in the first season and I think in most of the episodes towards the beginning season.
Days of Our Lives - Will & Sonny. Watched the storyline on Youtube years ago so can't comment on it much. I mean, it's a soap so... yeah. But I think it might still be up there somewhere... maybe.
Orange is the New Black - netflix original. My sister watches it, and I've been slowly watching it. Lesbian and heterosexuality. Not a bad show. Takes place in prison.
Spartacus - Agron and Nasir. Likely posted up on Youtube for those that don't want to watch the whole series. It is on netflix right now I believe... (could be wrong though).
The 100 - Lexa and Clarke - unfortunately not much happens but there's some UST and a kiss (season 2). Clarke is bisexual. I ship both her with Lexa and her with Bellamy.
Not really gay but the relationship through the whole series honestly is seriously, seriously super ship worthy. But the show Hannibal (NBC) is pretty good and it does feature a lesbian couple. I watched it for Will and Hannibal though.
Jessica Jones - a recent watch for me and another netflix original. Love it! I watch it for Jessica's character, but it does have a lesbian couple. Can be triggering with mentions/some non-graphic scenes of rape and it has a lot of violent deaths. The Villain literally can tell anyone what to do and say. He's a mind-controller and seriously f*ed up.
Probably my most favorite TV series is Shameless and In the Flesh so I definitely second both of those :D & I might think of more later to add. I really wish more TV had main characters who're LGBT :/
no subject
Date: 2015-11-30 03:42 am (UTC)I've seen Queer as Folk and Spartacus. I'll check out the rest.
no subject
Date: 2015-11-29 01:09 am (UTC)A while ago I also found this listing of Gay and Lesbian characters and storylines in TV. I have to admit that I in the end never went through it but maybe you'll find something good in there: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/tv-char2000s.html
PS.: Also second the first three seasons of Queer As Folk!
no subject
Date: 2015-11-30 03:44 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2015-12-23 06:41 am (UTC)It's sooo funny, a little off beat, and deals with a lot of real life issues in a good real life way- it's light hearted and humorous, but still kinda serious (but maybe make sure you look at the themes on imdb first if you're easily triggered i.e depression, bipolar disorder, self-harm, abortion).
Here's two summaries:
"Based on the award-winning comedy of Josh Thomas, the series PLEASE LIKE ME is about cavoodles, custard tarts, boyfriends and girlfriends. Mostly, though, it's about growing up quickly and realising that your parents are not heroes, but big dopes with no idea what’s going on – just like you."
"Twentysomething Josh is going through a number of big changes as he navigates his first decade of adulthood. After being dumped by his girlfriend, he comes to the realization that he is gay. After that shocker, he moves back into the family home to help care for his mother, who has previously attempted suicide. He later moves out and into a house with best friend Tom. With his life in disarray, big challenges await Josh in his immediate future, which are especially hard for someone like him, who with a natural aversion to drama and emotion. So he deals with it all -- only in his own awkward, self-centered way."
Link: http://watch-series-online.li/Watch/Please-Like-Me-1217.html#!episodes_tab
Josh has such a unique sort of outlook on life, and the actor who plays him, Josh Thomas, wrote the show and is a comedian, too, which is clear if you watch the show.
Definitely give this a shot and watch a few episodes before deciding whether you like it or not :)
Oh, it also has some great cooking in it, too!