Rec: Glitterland
Feb. 15th, 2016 11:41 pmTitle: Glitterland (on amazon/ on audible)
Author: Alexis Hall
Narrator: Nicholas Boulton
Format: Novel/ Audiobook
Paid/Unpaid: Paid
Length: Novel 228 pages/ 6 hours 42 minutes audiobook
Status: Complete
Rating: Mature
Warnings: Discussion of bi-polar depression, mental illness, suicide attempt, drug use
Summary: Ash Winters is barely holding on, near drowning in his own darkness and fear. He lives a gray shadow of a life, sullen and cynical, unable to remember hope or happiness - much less the distant, fading glitterball of love. It has to be a sick joke of the universe that he finds himself hooked up with good-humored Essex boy Darian Taylor, a wannabe model in a sparkly jacket and a fake tan. Darian may not be an intellectual giant, but he's hysterically funny, and he's got the courage to challenge Ash to live again.
Just being able to laugh is extraordinary enough to Ash. Loving may be a gift he can't bear to accept, even if his denial breaks the biggest heart he's ever known.
Review: I listened to the audiobook, so I’m afraid that I can’t say how the book fairs in terms of grammar and punctuation but the story is beyond phenomenal. This has to be one of the most enjoyable stories I have read/listened to in like two years. The characters are believable and the narration is perfection- Boulton really makes the characters come to life. Especially since I had no idea what an Essex accent should sound like. I love that mental illness was part of this story and that Hall describes it in a very honest way-- without the over dramatization that seems to come up in most slash fic. As someone who suffers from depression- Ash's anxieties and daily struggles really struck a chord with me. I found him to be a very brave and relatable character and I enjoyed every moment of this story. Do yourself a favor and buy this one. You won't regret it.
Author: Alexis Hall
Narrator: Nicholas Boulton
Format: Novel/ Audiobook
Paid/Unpaid: Paid
Length: Novel 228 pages/ 6 hours 42 minutes audiobook
Status: Complete
Rating: Mature
Warnings: Discussion of bi-polar depression, mental illness, suicide attempt, drug use
Summary: Ash Winters is barely holding on, near drowning in his own darkness and fear. He lives a gray shadow of a life, sullen and cynical, unable to remember hope or happiness - much less the distant, fading glitterball of love. It has to be a sick joke of the universe that he finds himself hooked up with good-humored Essex boy Darian Taylor, a wannabe model in a sparkly jacket and a fake tan. Darian may not be an intellectual giant, but he's hysterically funny, and he's got the courage to challenge Ash to live again.
Just being able to laugh is extraordinary enough to Ash. Loving may be a gift he can't bear to accept, even if his denial breaks the biggest heart he's ever known.
Review: I listened to the audiobook, so I’m afraid that I can’t say how the book fairs in terms of grammar and punctuation but the story is beyond phenomenal. This has to be one of the most enjoyable stories I have read/listened to in like two years. The characters are believable and the narration is perfection- Boulton really makes the characters come to life. Especially since I had no idea what an Essex accent should sound like. I love that mental illness was part of this story and that Hall describes it in a very honest way-- without the over dramatization that seems to come up in most slash fic. As someone who suffers from depression- Ash's anxieties and daily struggles really struck a chord with me. I found him to be a very brave and relatable character and I enjoyed every moment of this story. Do yourself a favor and buy this one. You won't regret it.
no subject
Date: 2017-11-10 10:40 am (UTC)